How colleges use test scores in admissions
Individual campus policies and procedures can and do vary:
- Some campuses require SAT or ACT from every student
- Some recommend SAT Subject Tests, and can vary by major
- A small minority of campuses require SAT Subject Tests
- Some will use scores from the highest sitting or single test date
- Some will "super-score" by adding up sub-scores within one test type
- Some campuses have "test optional" or "test free" policies
- Some use test scores to satisfy deficiencies in required courses and/or grades
Q: How do I determine which tests are required, when they need to be taken by, and when/if to send official scores?
A: You do your research. Colleges typically put this information on admission websites, but you can also phone admission offices to ask.